- 1 What you need to do to get started
- 2 Register with enthought
- 3 Download and install canopy
- 4 Please watch and learn the following videos
- 5 Download Sublime 3
- 6 Install Term2, a terminal replacement for the default terminal in OS X
- 7 Learn to use the terminal
- 8 Start learning how to use midnight commander
- 9 Register for our class wiki
- 10 Download and install filezilla
- 11 Understand how to use pastebin
- 12 References
What you need to do to get started
It is important you follow the instructions below to get yourself setup. If you have any troubles please speak with Mr. MacKenty.
Register with enthought
Enthought is a scientific computing company specializing in Python. Their training videos are amongst the very best I've ever seen.
- Please click this link and register. Please note:
* The organization must be "American School of Warsaw" * The email address you use must be your school email address (ending in aswarsaw.org) * You do not need to provide a phone numberA unit of abstract mathematical system subject to the laws of arithmetic.! * After you have registered, please check you email and confirm your registration
Download and install canopy
- You must be logged in to download canopy.
Please watch and learn the following videos
Download Sublime 3
- Sublime is a powerful text editor used by professional programmers. click here to download.
Install Term2, a terminal replacement for the default terminal in OS X
Learn to use the terminal
Start learning how to use midnight commander
- Click here for a good primer for midnight commander, which is a powerful tool to manipulate text in a command line
- http://www.softpanorama.org/OFM/MC/mcedit.shtml Click here to view another excellent webpage with resources for midnight commander]
Register for our class wiki
- Register for our class wiki
- it is important you confirm your email address and make sure you are notified when a "watched" page is changed. This is often how I will communicate with you.
Download and install filezilla
There are times when you will need to transfer large files between systems. Click here to download filezilla.
Understand how to use pastebin
There are many times I will ask you to email code to me. I prefer to use pastebin. Here is the process to use pastebin. Please see below for an animated gif.
- Copy the code you want to send me. Ensure your name is NOT anywhere on the code.
- Click this link to access pastebin
- Choose the correct syntax highlighting (usually php, python or html).
- Click create new paste
- Copy the URL (after you click create new paste)
- Email me the url. My email address is email@example.com