A packet is a basic unit of communication over a digital networka group or system of interconnected people or things.. A packet is also called a datagram, a segment, a block, a cell or a frame, depending on the protocol used for the transmission of data. When data has to be transmitted, it is broken down into similar structures of data before transmission, called packets, which are reassembled to the original data chunk once they reach their destination.
The structure of a packet depends on the type of packet it is and on the protocol. Normally, a packet has a header and a payload.
The header keeps overhead information about the packet, the service, and other transmission-related data. For example, data transfer over the Internet requires breaking down the data into IP packets, which is defined in IP (Internet Protocol), and an IP packet includes:
- The source IP address, which is the IP address of the machine sending the data.
- The destination IP address, which is the machine or device to which the data is sent.
- The sequence numberA unit of abstract mathematical system subject to the laws of arithmetic. of the packets, a numberA unit of abstract mathematical system subject to the laws of arithmetic. that puts the packets in order such that they are reassembled in a way to get the original data back exactly as it was prior to transmission.
- The type of service
- And some other technical data
- The payload, which represents the bulk of the packet (all the above is considered as overhead), and is actually the data being carried.
(Above used with gratitude from: https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-data-packet-3426310)
A diagram of a packet
Looking for a basic introduction to packets ?
What do you actually NEED to know?
- DescribeGive a detailed account or picture of a situation, event, pattern or process. how communication over networksa group or system of interconnected people or things. is broken down into different layers
- DefineGive the precise meaning of a word, phrase, concept or physical quantity. the terms: protocol, data packet
- ExplainGive a detailed account including reasons or causes. how data is transmitted by packet switching