How to ask for help
Having problems is normal. If you do not learn how to solve your own problems, life will be difficult for you.
The best way to get help is to help yourself
A key idea in all our courses: diagnose and solve problems.
Checklist for solving problems when coding in PHP
How to view our linux error log
I encourage students to open a new tab in their terminal window. The command below will create a running listGive a sequence of brief answers with no explanation. of errors. To escape from the output, push the key combination control-C.
tail -f /var/log/php/error.log
Problem Solving Steps
- Repeat the problem, make the error happen again
- TRACE the problem (click here to learn more) - Insert a notification or breakpoint into your program
- Google the problem in general terms. For example:
python how to import a calendar
- Re-read your code (sometimes, reading backwards helps you see little errors)
- UseApply knowledge or rules to put theory into practice. your debugging tools
- Ask a friend
- Google the specific error message your program is raising
- Don't ask your teacher until you have a very specific question.
Click the image to learn about common mistakes
Other problem-solving strategies
- walk away for a few minutes
- take a short break (2 to 3 minutes)
- physically stretch your body