An integrated development environment (IDE) is a software application that provides comprehensive facilities to computer programmers for software development. An IDE normally consists of a source code editor, build automation tools and a debugger. Most modern IDEs have intelligent code completion.
What should you know about IDE's?
You should know:
- IDE's can be highly specialized for a specific programming language (phpstorm) or have facility for multiple languages (visual studio)
- IDE's have line numbers to help you identifyProvide an answer from a number of possibilities. Recognize and state briefly a distinguishing fact or feature. errors and discussOffer a considered and balanced review that includes a range of arguments, factors or hypotheses. Opinions or conclusions should be presented clearly and supported by appropriate evidence. code with colleagues.
- Syntax highlighting is a way of coloring different reserved words so they are easier to read.
- Autocomplete will help you by filling in functions, variables, and other identified names, so you don't have to type the whole thing (and avoid misspelling).
- IDE's often have debuggers, to step through code and help you understand where complex errors might be hiding.
- Many IDE's will help you profile your code (or make it more efficient).
- Basically, IDE's can make your life as a programmer MUCH easier (which is a good thing).
Why don't we use a specific IDE for this class from the start?
It is my opinion some IDE's make programming to easy. I don't want you to program without understanding why you are writing code in certain ways. As you mature and grow as a programmer, I expect you to use an IDE that best fits your style. But at the start, I want you programming without a lot of additional support.
Why do people get emotional about the IDE's they use?
I don't know for sure. I suspect it is related to domain competence. I suspect when people become very skillful and comfortable using an IDE (or a programming language) they react emotionally when a different tool is suggested. It's weird, and just my thoughts.