Recognize an image
This is a problem set. Some of these are easy, others are far more difficult. The purpose of these problems sets are:
- to build your skill applying computational thinking to a problem
- to assess your knowledge and skills of different programming practices
What is this problem set trying to do
How does a computer system represent an image? How does a computer "see" an image? This problem asks you to write a program which identifies 6 different images. You must understand that images are stored as pixel values within an array.
- Please download and save this file
- Please download the following images in the same directory as the file you saved. You will need to save image as.
You must write a program which detects the position of edges. You must accurately identify the image. For example, if an image is a triangle your program should detect the edges and determine the image is a triangle.
How you will be assessed
Your solution will be graded using the following axis:
- To what extent does your code implement the features required by our specification?
- To what extent is there evidence of effort?
- To what extent did your code meet specifications?
- To what extent did your code meet unit tests?
- To what extent is your code free of bugs?
- To what extent is your code written well (i.e. clearly, efficiently, elegantly, and/or logically)?
- To what extent is your code eliminating repetition?
- To what extent is your code using functions appropriately?
- To what extent is your code readable?
- To what extent is your code commented?
- To what extent are your variables well named?
- To what extent do you adhere to style guide?
A possible solution
Click the expand link to see one possible solution, but NOT before you have tried and failed!
Provide an answer from a number of possibilities. Recognize and state briefly a distinguishing fact or feature.
Obtain the only possible answer.
Consider the merits or otherwise of an argument or concept. Opinions and conclusions should be presented clearly and supported with appropriate evidence and sound argument.
Produce a plan, simulation or model.