This is a problem set. Some of these are easy, others are far more difficult. The purpose of these problems sets are:
- to build your skill applying computational thinking to a problem
- to assess your knowledge and skills of different programming practices
What is this problem set trying to do
I found this problem on Daily Coding Problem, and I love it.
Implement a URL shortener:
- shorten(url), which shortens the url into a six-character alphanumeric string, such as zLg6wl.
- restore(short), which expands the shortened string into the original url. If no such shortened string exists, return null.
In the hacker version:
- Save the shortened URL's in a database.
How you will be assessed
Your solution will be graded using the following axis:
- To what extent does your code implement the features required by our specification?
- To what extent is there evidence of effort?
- To what extent did your code meet specifications?
- To what extent did your code meet unit tests?
- To what extent is your code free of bugs?
- To what extent is your code written well (i.e. clearly, efficiently, elegantly, and/or logically)?
- To what extent is your code eliminating repetition?
- To what extent is your code using functions appropriately?
- To what extent is your code readable?
- To what extent is your code commented?
- To what extent are your variables well named?
- To what extent do you adhere to style guide?
A possible solution
Click the expand link to see one possible solution, but NOT before you have tried and failed!
Consider the merits or otherwise of an argument or concept. Opinions and conclusions should be presented clearly and supported with appropriate evidence and sound argument.
Produce a plan, simulation or model.