- 1 What you need to do to get started
- 2 Join classroom
- 3 Bookmark the following sites
- 4 Please keep an eye open for an email from treehouse
- 5 Launch, update, learn and keep in dock Sublime 3
- 6 Launch, update and keep in dock iTerm2
- 7 Launch, update Microsoft Office
- 8 Register for our class forum
- 9 Register and setup JetBrains IDE
- 10 Update the python package manager
- 11 Please learn how to use the following sites
- 12 References
What you need to do to get started
It is important you follow the instructions below to get yourself setup. If you have any troubles please speak with Mr. MacKenty. These instructions assume you have a school-issued laptop.
Please make sure you have joined our google classroom. If you have any trouble, please let your instructor know.
Bookmark the following sites
Please keep an eye open for an email from treehouse
Treehouse is a learning management system that we use to learn code. It's cool. If you see an email invite from them, please accept.
Launch, update, learn and keep in dock Sublime 3
Sublime is a really powerful text editor used by professional programmers. It should already be installed on your computer. click here to download if it is not installed.
- Start the application "Sublime 3".
- Update the application. The application should be version 3.1.1 build 3176.
- Please keep Sublime 3 in your dock
- Please watch these video to learn some really helpful features of sublime text:
Launch, update and keep in dock iTerm2
iTerm is a replacement for your default terminal application. It should be installed on your computer. Click here to download if it is not installed on your computer.
- Start the application "iTerm2"
- Update the application. The application should be version 3, build 3.2.0
- Keep the application in your dock
Launch, update Microsoft Office
Although we'll only use Excel this year it's good to have the whole version of office updated.
- This is a HUGE UPDATE (many gigabytes)
- Start Microsoft Excel and follow the steps to update everything
- This update will take many hours to complete.
- Keep the application Excel in your dock
Register for our class forum
Please click here to request our class discussion forum Once the page has been rendered by your browser, please click the "register" button and follow the instructions to register. Please make sure you use only your school email address, and please make sure your username:
- Does not contain your last name
- Does not contain any personally identifiable information
- Does not contain any inappropriate content
Most students use their first name, for example, Tom or Felix123
Register and setup JetBrains IDE
As high school students, you have access to powerful ide for free. The registration process is a bit complex and can take up to 7 days.
- Please click here to watch a video with instructions to register
- if you are using PyCharm, watch AND follow these videos
Update the python package manager
As a Python programmer, you may need to install some external libraries or packages. We use a tool called pip for this.
- Open the application iTerm2
- Type the following command:
pip3 install --upgrade pip
Please learn how to use the following sites