Once you can define an algorithms you must analyze and deduce algorithms. Really, you need to trace what an algorithm does.
The algorithm below is well-named. Can you deduce what it might do?
def find_max (L): max = 0 for x in L: if x > max: max = x return max
If you said something like "find the largest number in a list (or array) you are correct.
Do you understand this ?
These standards are used from the IB Computer Science Subject Guide
- Discuss an algorithm to solve a specific problem.
- Analyse an algorithm presented as a flow chart.
- Analyse an algorithm presented as pseudocode.
- Construct pseudocode to represent an algorithm.
- Suggest suitable algorithms to solve a specific problem.
- Deduce the efficiency of an algorithm in the context of its use.
- Determine the number of times a step in an algorithm will be performed for given input data
- IB Diploma Programme Computer science guide (first examinations 2014). Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom: International Baccalaureate Organization. January 2012.