Our Big Idea
The function of every web application system is to accept data, process data and output information. Effective design of interdependent components results in useful function.
What are we going to learn today?
By the end of class you will be able to say:
- I can define command line environment
- I can define a graphical user interface
- I can describe the difference between a command line a graphical user interface
- I can describe what the following commands do:
- I can describe a remote host
- I can describe a local host
- I can describe the difference between a local host and a remote host
- I can describe how to connect to the school server in Frankfurt, Germany
- I can use the command line terms to navigate to my web directory
What is our homework?
How am I being assessed today?
I will assess you formatively today, and make a professional judgement to what extent you understand our learning material. I will use observation, your written work, answers to questions, and contribution to class discussions as data to make my decisions. I normally record my observations in a "evidence of learning" spreadsheet, which I will happily share with you privately if you so wish. I usually need a day or two notice.
As a computer scientist, you have:
- Confidence in dealing with complexity
- Persistence in working with difficult problems
- Tolerance for ambiguity
- The ability to deal with open-ended problems
- The ability to communicate and work with others to achieve a common goal or solution