This is a problem set. Some of these are easy, others are far more difficult. The purpose of these problems sets are:
- to build your skill applying computational thinking to a problem
- to assess your knowledge and skills of different programming practices
What is this problem set trying to do
In this example we are learning about strings and basic math.
You are going to be given a word. Your job is to return the middle character of the word. If the word's length is odd, return the middle character. If the word's length is even, return the middle 2 characters.
myString = "Torun"
...should return r, as 'r' is the middle character.
How you will be assessed
Your solution will be graded using the following axis:
- To what extent does your code implement the features required by our specification?
- To what extent is there evidence of effort?
- To what extent did your code meet specifications?
- To what extent did your code meet unit tests?
- To what extent is your code free of bugs?
- To what extent is your code written well (i.e. clearly, efficiently, elegantly, and/or logically)?
- To what extent is your code eliminating repetition?
- To what extent is your code using functions appropriately?
- To what extent is your code readable?
- To what extent is your code commented?
- To what extent are your variables well named?
- To what extent do you adhere to style guide?
A possible solution
Click the expand link to see one possible solution, but NOT before you have tried and failed!
# This solution was created by Merri in 2020, a wonderful 10th grade student # Thank you Merri! myString = "Toreun" while myString: myString = myString[1:][:-1] if len(myString) == 2: print(myString) elif len (myString) == 1: print(myString)