I discovered this excellent treatment of disciplines within computing from the ACM.
Within the broad scope of computing there are five disciplines:
- Computer Engineering (CE)
- Computer Science (CS)
- Information Systems (IS)
- Information Technology (IT)
- Software Engineering (SE)
These disciplines share characteristics in the following lanes:
- Organizational System Issues
- Application Technologies
- Software Development
- Systems Infrastructure
- Computer Hardware and and Architecture
It is a mistake to use the term "computer science" when you in fact mean "software engineering". They are different! There is not universal agreement about these disciplines.
A note about these files: they are fairly dense, and you may need to zoom in to read the characteristics of the different disciplines within computing.
- Click here for an excellent graphic identifying the different computing disciplines.
- Click here for a zoomed-in view of the five different disciplines.